MEXICO CITY NATIONAL CEMETERY, MEXICO
The Mexico City National Cemetery was established in 1851 by Congress to gather the American dead of the Mexican-American War (1846-1848) that lay in the nearby fields and to provide burial space for Americans that died in the vicinity. The remains were gathered in 1851 and buried in a common grave at this cemetery. They were not identified so they are classified as unknown soldiers. A small monument marks the common grave of 750 unidentified American dead of the War of 1847. Inscribed on the monument are the words:
To the honored memory
of 750 Americans
known but to God
whose bones collected
by their country’s order
are here buried.
In this one-acre area are also placed the remains of 813 Americans and others in wall crypts on either side of the cemetery. The cemetery was closed to further burials in 1923. Buried at the Mexico City National Cemetery are American servicemen who served during the Mexican-American War (1846-1848), Civil War and Spanish American War.
Link to American Battle Monuments Commission website: